meatless monday ~ taco night!Posted: April 15, 2013
These tacos are easy & delicious. We set everything out on the table & let each make his or her own taco creation.
BEAN TACOS w/ guacamole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cans pinto beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 16oz bag frozen corn
- 1/4 cup chunky fresh salsa (+extra for serving)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 12 taco shells (hard, soft , or both)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the onion & cook, stirring occasionally, until it starts to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the beans, corn, salsa, and cilantro and stir the mixture. Lower the heat & allow to cook for 10-15 minutes.
Heat the taco shells on a baking sheet in the oven for about 5 minutes.
Assemble at the table.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- handful of fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- salt & pepper
Cut each avocado in half length-wise, pop out the pit, scoop out the avocado into a medium sized bowl. Smash the avocado until the desired consistency is reached. If you have a mortal & pestle, this is the perfect time to use it! I like my guac chunky, keep smashing until it looks good to you. Add the onion & cilantro and stir. Squeeze half a lime into the mixture. Don’t squeeze the lime dry, too much lime will make the guac taste bitter. Squeeze & taste, squeeze & taste. Add salt & pepper to taste. Stir.
A few notes:
- Black beans can be used instead of pinto. Or use one of each. Really just about any bean will taste delicious. Pinto is my fave in this recipe.
- I don’t usually use the whole bag of corn, more like 3/4 of a bag. Use as much or as little as you like. 1 can of corn can be used instead of frozen.
- The cilantro is key. Don’t skip it in the bean mixture or the guacamole.
- Sometimes we have a few packets of Taco Bell sauce hanging around & I’ll add those to the bean mixture.
- This is a very forgiving recipe, it can take lots of modifications & still taste fantastic. Use up what’s in your pantry & enjoy!